This is what I have had to tell myself for the past few months. It has nothing to do with my family or marriage or career. They are all already good, thank God. I am talking about my beloved country and what is happening all around us.
It is very easy to get depressed and disheartened with what has happened in America over the past year or so. I will not go into specifics, for that will feed into all the misery, angst and disappointment I have been feeling. Instead, I am going to start to focus on the good because we cannot let other people’s poor choices, despicable actions and vile words steal our personal joy! Life is too short to get wrapped up in the anger and negativity that is all around us.
We must focus on the good.
These are a few good things I am focusing on right now. I hope you can too!
- Family and friends – God has blessed me with some of the most wonderful people in my own family and in my husband’s family. I am thankful for them each and every day.
- The American flag – As I proudly hang my flag outside my door each day, it makes me think of all the heroes that have fought and sacrificed for our country. When I say the Pledge of Allegiance, I do not take it lightly and mean every word. I am proud to be the granddaughter of two World War II veterans and the daughter of a Navy veteran.
- Flowers – Who does not enjoy looking at the vibrant colors of roses, poinsettias, daisies and daffodils? They inspire me to see the beauty in all things and make me thankful that I have been blessed with the gift of sight.
- Dogs – Some of the greatest creatures given to man! They are great companions, loyal family members and provide hours of entertainment!
- Laughter – I especially love hearing the unabated laughter of children. They laugh from their bellies; something more adults should do! I especially love the contagious laughs of my Aunt Jill and Uncle Frank. They are hysterical and unique and I cannot help but join in!
- Music – It is medicine for the soul. It can fire you up during a workout, make you cry or laugh and inspire you to do great things. It can even make you ponder life and all that we go through. I love music and cannot imagine life without it!
- Books – To me, they are the best way to escape reality and be transported to another time, setting, and situation. When I get wrapped up in a book, there are not distractions.
- Animals – While dogs are my personal favorite, I love to watch and listen to the birds and other wildlife. We can learn a lot from animals. There is a quote from Elvis Presley who said, “Animals don’t hate and we are supposed to be smarter than they are.” So true.
- The beach – The soft sand, the rolling waves, the salt in the air… it is definitely a place that makes me smile and realize the incredible power of nature. I have nothing but good memories at the beach from being there with my family or friends to walking on the beach by myself in the early mornings. It is paradise to me.
- God – I saved the best for last. God is good! Always and everywhere and in all things. I truly do believe that God is on our side and that means there are good things for all of us. We just have to notice all the good around us and focus on them. If we do this, it will bring a happiness to our hearts and peace to our minds.
Make your own list and see how you feel afterwards. I hope you feel as good as I do now. Focus on the good!!