While many of us are starting to go a bit stir-crazy being confined to our homes, there are a good deal of things that I have started to appreciate. I have been home since March 12th and while it is difficult to follow all of the shelter-in-place guidelines here in New Jersey, I am doing it with a smile! Here are a few things that I can appreciate while being in this situation:
- Not having to apply make-up or nail polish! My skin and nails are enjoying the break.
- Letting my hair air dry. When I think about the last time I did not put product in my hair or dry my hair with a blow dryer, I have to go back to about 6th grade. I think that’s when I got my first perm. Chemical city! Am curious to see how my hair does with less product and residue in it an no heat on it for awhile. I am thinking it will be much healthier!
- Putting on sweats and leggings each day! I know. I know. Some people are saying to keep a sense of normalcy and to get dressed each day. I am getting dressed, just not wearing anything with zippers or that is too confining. This is the most comfortable I have been since I was a baby in one-sies and footsie pajamas!
- Doing less laundry! Normally, I would wear three outfits a day – my workout clothes, my work clothes and then my lounging clothes. Not now! I am down to two outfits a day. My husband had his work clothes and his lounging clothes but now is now making interesting fashion choices, as many people have also done, and tends to wear a work shirt for his video conferences paired with his sweats or lounging pants. He still looks cute!
- Leaving the ironing board in the closet. Waaahoooo! One of my least favorite chores is on hold…for now…
- Allowing the girls be free much earlier in the day. Ahhhhhh. So liberating!!!
- Having/making time to read. I love reading and am enjoying the time I would have spent commuting enjoying some excellent books – some to entertain and some to inform (will write about them another day!)
- Going to pee whenever I want!
- Attending virtual happy hours with friends and family. Thankful for the technology available to us so that we can enjoy a libation and “see” our loved ones each day!
- Walking my dog several times a day. My little terrier is in his glory now that my husband and are home every day. He dutifully splits his time lying in his bed in my husband’s office and lying on the couch or in his crate while I am doing things downstairs. I take him out on his normal schedule and add one or two for good measure. It is also a great reason to get out of the house and enjoy the fresh air!
Think of all the positives of being at home, laugh at yourself and your situation and remember that this is temporary! We will get through this and life will return to normal!
May God bless you and keep you and yours safe and healthy today and always!