Today is a day that is all about love and whether or not you have a sweetheart, there is love all around you. Open your eyes and your heart and see it. And feel it. And know that giving love can be just as rewarding as getting it.
I am extremely fortunate in that I have always felt love from God, my parents, brother, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephew, friends and even my beloved dogs! I now feel a love for and from my husband that is more powerful than anything I could have imagined. It is a wonderful feeling that warms my heart and soul.
But, for many years, I did not always see how much love was around me. I wanted the wrong person to love me and sometimes for the wrong reasons. I saw my friends go through this as well in our numerous years of being single. But now that I am older and wiser (I think), I have realized a few things:
- You cannot make a person love you.
- It is never wrong to give or show a person that you love them.
- Love is the strongest force on earth.
- Letting someone love you is not always easy.
- Being in love is wonderful, but it should not define who you are.
- You have to love yourself first. No matter what.
So, as you celebrate Valentine’s Day (or not), remember those around you who love you not only today, but every day. And love them back. As the Beatles said, “All You Need is Love.”