As predicted, we got over a foot of snow here in Northeastern New Jersey. My husband is out snow blowing right now. Poor thing! The plows were running all night and our neighbor decided to get up at 6:15 to do his snow blowing. Needless to say, we did not sleep very well. We are still in a blizzard warning because of the high winds (and boy are they blowing!) Sooo, I think today will be a day of relaxation and movies. Here are my favorite movies to watch when I am snowed in. Or sick. Or don’t feel like doing anything. They are the ones that I HAVE to watch when I see them on TV. Some are serious, but most are fun!
1. The Godfather Parts I and II – They are cinematic brilliance. The plot, the brilliant acting, the lessons that can be applied to every day life… I can quote most of the movies and they never seem to get old for me.
2. Jaws – Only the first one. While the special effects are terrible compared to today’s technology, the core of the movie always keeps my attention and the humor makes me laugh every time.
3. Dances With Wolves – I love Kevin Costner – always have. I think this was by far, his best movie ever and his directorial debut. I will be honest, the very beginning and the sad ending are parts I sometimes fast-forward, but once his character John Dunbar sets off to the west for this post, I am hooked. It’s a wonderful, touching, historic and amazing movie.
4. The Outlaw Josie Wales – Yes, this is normally a guy-movie, but it’s one of my favorites. It stars Clint Eastwood and Chief Dan Brown and the two are priceless together with their bantering throughout the movie. It’s hysterical. And it’s about old-fashioned vigilante justice. I like movies like that once in a while.
5. Forrest Gump – Simply amazing. And fabulous. And emotional. And humorous. And tells the story of America. It’s everything I love about movies. And Tom Hanks was Ahh-MAZING in it.
6. You’ve Got Mail - Tom Hanks again. This time with Meg Ryan. I actually like this one more than their first, Sleepless in Seattle. I think the story is better and it’s funnier. It’s also a little bittersweet for me to watch. My dream has always been to own a children’s bookstore, but I fear that just like in the movie, the big corporations will not allow that to happen. But, I like happy endings and enjoy this movie each time it is on. I think I own the VHS tape, but have no idea where it might be.
7. The Wedding Singer – Brings back memories of the 80s and is hysterical. And another happy ending. Love it!
8. The Little Mermaid – Yes, I am an adult and yes, it is a Disney movie, but I love it from the songs, the story and the animation. I always sing along (in my head) and smile throughout the movie.
9. The Lost Boys – The best vampire – horror flick from the 80s. Way before Twilight and so much better. Plus Keifer Sutherland, Jason Patrick and the Corey’s (Feldman and Haim) are in it. Yes, I still love this movie and watch it again and again and again.
10. A Few Good Men – I have a few things to say about this movie and they are : Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, Demi Moore, Kevin Bacon, Kiefer Sutherland, Kevin Pollak. In addition to them, the entire storyline, humor and one-liners are priceless and timeless. ”YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!”
These are just some of my faves. The ones I never get tired of watching. I think it’s time to go make some hot chocolate and start movie day!
What are some of your favorites?